The weekend is just about here, and it's a good thing. This past week as been a very full week! We've had some ups and some downs, a few scary moments, and much to be thankful for.
Let me share with you a quick wrap up and update to some of the things that transpired this week.
- Harvest's Moving Forward Meeting: It's been an interesting first half of the year at Harvest. We've seen God do some exciting things. But as we look at Fall, we know there are a number of things that need to happen if we hope to see God continue to bless His church. So we met to launch our first ministry teams. We had a pretty good response from our core families. I hope that come September, we'll have a few new exciting things to report.
- On Tuesday, Amy and I went to the football boosters meeting. The meeting was a cruel reminder to just how close we are to the football season. I mean, we're excited, but at the same time, we've committed a lot of time and energy to the team, the boosters, and the season ahead. It felt just a bit overwhelming. But I do think we can handle it. Plus, serving on the boosters is a great way for us to engage the community!
- Wednesday had a great start. But about mid-afternoon, I got a phone call from my youngest brother with news that they were taking my father by ambulance to the emergency room. This is a scary call for anyone, but being 5 and half hours away leaves you feeling a little helpless and frantic. But we kept our heads cool and waited to hear something a little more definite about what was happening. When I finally talked with my mom, we kinda both came to the same initial conclusion. But it was great to hear that the doctors found nothing serious and seemed to agree with our assement. But after spending a night in the ICU, my dad was doing much better and moved to a regular floor bed. We heard from mom today and it sounds like he might be discharged tomorrow, maybe.
With all that said, I want to thank everyone who commented and prayed for our family. It was so encouraging to be able to post the need on Facebook and know that so many of you were praying for us! Thank you so much!
- Just when we thought things were settling back down in the area of emergency responses, we got a phone call from the camp where our number 2 son was working. It was one of those, "We need you to get your son. We think he may have broken his foot" kind of calls. So after rearranging schedules and kids, Amy made the trip to camp to retrieve #2. Fortunately, after a quick visit to the local express medical clinic, it appears to only be a bruise, in the same spot as last years break. Whew!
- The house is full again. Everyone is home and accounted for, and everyone is doing well. We are looking forward to the weekend. We have two kids with practices that will take us in different directions. But after that, the weekend can begin.
With all the meetings and activity this week, I am still looking for some time to finish my sermon and worship planning for this Sunday. But I know that the Spirit is faithful, so I'm sure I will get it done late tonight. So looking ahead, here's what we've got going!
- With #2 now home, we will not have to pick him up at camp, giving us the day as a family. However, in the evening there is a fundraiser dinner for the football team at one of our local restaurants. You can learn more about that at my Facebook page.
- The highlight of the weekend will of course be attending Harvest for our weekend worship gathering. After that, things get busy as we get ready for the first week of football camp!
Like I said, it was a busy week, but we are thankful. There were a lot of opportunities for life to become very unfavorable very quickly. But God is good, and His goodness has blessed through it all.
How was your week? Busy? Stressful? Scary? Good? Great? Glad to see that it's over?
Well, before you miss out, why not take a few minutes before your weekend begins to pause and consider all that transpired this week. Look for the times when God stepped in; times where His love for you shown through, times when you saw in at work. These are times that are worthy of our praise and thanksgiving! So praise Him. Thank Him. And be renewed by His goodness.
Have a blessed weekend, my friends! Oh, and don't forget to go to church and celebrate in God's presence! www.HarvestChurchToday.org.
PS - Was this post helpful, insightful, encouraging, or thought provoking? Do you agree or disagree? Great! I'd love to hear from you! Share your reactions, thoughts, and/or comments in the comment section! And thanks for reading and supporting the blog!
Thanks for taking the time to read The Higham Family Blog. Each week we try to share new content about something we are learning, something we love, or something to offer encouragement to the family. We love to hear from our readers, so please share your thought in the comment section of each post.