A Husbands New Year Goals
Happy New Year, everyone!
2016, a year of possibilities.
For me, 2016 offers an exciting and fresh start. In September 0f 2015, I started a new job as the youth director at Hickory Church. Being back in student ministry has been amazing. Both the church and the students have been incredible. The position has brought me back to doing what I love doing; ministering to students and their families.
But the new job has also opened up the chance to pour back into my family. So as I think about the new year and the goals I want to set, I'm thinking about my role as a husband and father. I came up with these five goals.
1. Have lunch with Amy at least once a week.
- For years, Amy and I enjoyed getting together during the week for lunch. Between 2012 and 2015, there weren't many occasions on which we were able to have lunch. But all of that has changed. So in 2016, I am looking forward to meeting Amy at least once a week for lunch. It'll be kinda like a lunch date, since we are often too busy in the evenings and on the weekends to have a date night! So lunch dates it will be.
2. Complete the household projects that I've been putting off.
-While we don't own the house we are currently living in, we still have little projects that we want to do. Amy keeps a running list of things that need mending or put up or put away. As it is, we still have boxes in the garage from the move that we still need to sort through and put away. So in 2016, I want to be better at completing some of the projects she has on her list. I know it will make her happy.
3. Take time for each kid.
-We have five. But you know that already. Five kids require a bit more work. And what we've come to know is that with 5, you have to work a little harder to give each one the time he or she needs. We love that we have five kids. We've always wanted a big family! And in 2016, one of my bigger goals is to spend more time with each one of our five kids.
4. Take better care of myself.
- This is something I have been wanting and trying to do. Over the last 4 years, I've gained some wait and gotten lazy, so in 2016, the plan is to get a little more active! I need to take better care of myself. With our first born only a year away from college, I want to be sure that I am around for all the life changes that are just around the corner. So it's time to lose a little weight, get a little more active, and be a little healthier all around.
5. Have more fun!
- This is probably the biggest goal. It's been a long time since I've allowed myself to have fun, with Amy and with the kids. Laughing, doing something new, doing something we love, doing something that make memories. Time is flying by, and I simply don't want to miss any of the remain years. So it's time to have some fun!
I don't know about you, but 2016 opens the door to exciting possibilities! And I am looking forward, what God has in store for us! So farewell 2015, and hello 2016!
Hi we're Jay & Amy, and we've been married for 19 years and are super blessed to be busy raising our 5 kids; 4 boys and 1 girl! We juggle the adventures of life and ministry and share what we are learning as it relates to marriage, family, raising kids, serving in the church, and chasing after Jesus. Raising a family is hard work, especially in today's culture. But our hope is to encourage you and your family, as we live for the glory of God.
Leave a Reply.
Thanks for taking the time to read The Higham Family Blog. Each week we try to share new content about something we are learning, something we love, or something to offer encouragement to the family. We love to hear from our readers, so please share your thought in the comment section of each post.