* THIS POST CONTAINS PRODUCT AND AFFILIATE LINKS.
The weather is starting to get a little cooler. The leaves are beginning to change. And commercials are reminding you that pumpkin spice everything is back! Yes, Fall is coming!
When the commercial industry is quick to fill the shelves with all things Christmas, let's not forget Fall. Fall marks the end of summer with colorful landscapes, crunching leaves, and smells of campfires, pumpkin cookies, and hot apple cider. It's a season for lite flannels, puffy vests, warm drinks, and good times with friends and family.
In fact, Fall is a perfect time to get out and explore with your family, your spouse, or a group of friends.
We live in an area where Fall can be quite spectacular. So not to miss out on some of the Fall fun, we sat down and came up with a list of things you can do on these amazing fun weekends.
Whether you choose to have fun with your spouse, your family, or your friends, here are 10 fun things you can do this fall.
1. Go for a walk at a local park.
- We live near a beautiful, four-seasons park. Along with the seasonal events, the park offers miles of walking trails, hiking trails, ponds, eateries, and scenic overlooks, it's the perfect place to go for a walk. Grab that "someone special" and make a date to go and walk through the trails and enjoy the colors.
2. Sip your favorite hot drink on the back porch.
- This is perfect to do in the morning, before the busyness of the day, or in the evening as you bring your day to a close. Grab something hot to drink and enjoy it on your porch. Whether you love pumpkin spice, hot apple cider, or a simple cup of hot chocolate there's something relaxing about slowing down and enjoying the quiet beauty of Fall from your porch.
3. Go for a fall picnic.
- I think we too often associate picnics with summer, but fall is a great time to pack up a yummy lunch and head out for an afternoon among the leaves. Make it a romantic outing for just the two of you, or plan for an afternoon of fun for the whole crew.
4. Go for a hike at a state park.
- State Parks are a treasure, and fall can be an incredible time to visit your local state park! Many state parks offer visitors miles of hiking trails that allow you to explore and have an adventure. Look up your local state park and see how you might enjoy a day hiking through the woods.
5. Visit a local fall festival.
- More and more communities are host fall festivals. Pumpkin festivals, apple festivals, October festivals, chances are, there's a festival not too far from you! Filled with local artisans, foods, and music, a visit to a local festival might be a great way to get to know your neighbors while enjoying the festivities of fall.
6. Play in a pile of leaves.
- Do you remember playing in the leaves as a kid? There's nothing like raking a pile of leaves as tall as you can make it, then jumping in them. This weekend, before you bag them up and put out by the curb, have some fun and play in a pile of leaves!
7. Sit by a back yard campfire.
- A crackling fire. A warm drink. The cool fall, evening air. And good friends circling the fire. Perfect. Invite some friends over, stack the wood, and enjoy some sweet time catching up with friends around a fire.
8. Enjoy some backyard football.
- Fall and football go hand in hand. But there's nothing like a backyard pick up game. Call up some friends and gathering for game.
9. Go to an apple orchard.
- We remember as kids, visiting the apple orchard! Picking the apples from the trees, watching the press, smelling the cider; so fun. There aren't many orchards left, but if you can find one close to you, plan to visit and spend a day enjoying the orchard.
10. Find a pumpkin patch.
- Like the apple orchard, pumpkin patches are becoming more and more difficult to find, but what fun they can be. Pick your own pumpkins can be a great thing to do with the family. Locate a pumpkin patch and spend an afternoon picking your pumpkins!
Here are just a few bonus ideas.
Go to a high school football game.
- Fall is about the Friday Night Lights. Across the country, high school athletes and spectators fill their local stadiums for their big game. We spend many Friday nights bundled up, sipping hot chocolate, cheering on our high school students! It was an awesome community gathering that brought our small town together to cheer the home team on to victory!
Invite some friends over to watch a Sunday football game.
- We love Sunday afternoon football. But we really love hanging our with friends, eating some good food, and watching football. Why not set aside a Sunday afternoon, invite some friends over, fire up the grill, and enjoy an afternoon of food and football!
Take a walk through your neighborhood.
- When was the last time you walked through your neighborhood? When was the last time you said hello to a neighbor? Why not take a walk through your neighborhood. Say hello. Smile and wave. Connect with those who live around you. Who knows, you might make a new friend or two.
Fall is just about here, but it won't be here for long. Before you know it, our attentions will be focused on the holiday season. So let's not miss out on the opportunity to enjoy the fall! I know we're going to try to make the most out the weekends ahead.
- the higham family
Thanks for taking the time to read The Higham Family Blog. Each week we try to share new content about something we are learning, something we love, or something to offer encouragement to the family. We love to hear from our readers, so please share your thought in the comment section of each post.